Moroccan food is popular across the globe, and for all the right reasons. The country has a lot to offer to foodies. One of the main factors that make Moroccan cuisine so unique is its heritage. Several dishes have been passed through the generations, and the Moroccan Harira is no exception.
This aromatic, balanced, and delicious dish is chock-full of diverse ingredients and flavors. It’s a classic Moroccan comfort soup made with lentils, chickpeas, and fresh herbs. You can also add tomatoes, meat, and spices to satisfy your cravings. Harira is served year-round in Moroccan households and restaurants.
What we absolutely love about Moroccan Harira is that you can make it gluten-free and vegan. Moreover, it can be served as an entrée or a full meal coupled with crusty bread or traditional Moroccan pastry called chebakia.
Here’s the complete, authentic recipe to make a great Moroccan Harira!
- 1 large Onion
- 3 Celery Stalks
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil or Butter
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 cup overnight soaked Chickpeas
- 3/4 cup soaked dry green lentils
- 1 cup Beef, chicken, or lamb roast slices (If Required)
- 9 to 10 cups water
- ½ cup Chopped fresh parsley and coriander each
- 1 tbsp. Ghee
- Salt & Pepper to taste
For bringing consistency to the soup:
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour ( You can also use 1 tbsp. corn flour )
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tsp. Paprika powder or red chili powder
- 1 tsp. powdered Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground Ginger
- Blend the celery stalk and onions in a blender.
- Put your pot on medium heat; add the butter or olive oil.
- Add the celery and onion blend and let it cook for a while.
- Add water, chickpeas, lentils, tomato paste, meat slicing, herbs, and all the spices. Let it cook it for half an hour.
- Add more water if the chickpeas need to be cooked more.
- Mix the flour in water and add it into the pot while stirring.
- Allow it to cook for at least five to seven minutes and top with ghee or butter for aroma
- Serve with your favorite bread, lemon slices, and dates. Enjoy!
Contact me for more details.