For most people, the word salad conjures up the image of a bland mix of vegetables that people eat, day in and day out, when trying to lose weight.
Even though salads have come a long way from their humble beginnings, those boring versions of it still exist (think of the salad bar in your school).
This is why we thought it would be a good idea to share a salad recipe that’s simple, quick, healthy, refreshing, and above all, delicious.
Quick and Healthy Carrot Salad
A carrot salad? What’s so special about that? Anyone can make it!
That’s what you’re thinking, right?
Well, you’re sort of right! Carrot salad is one of the easiest ones out there – anyone can make it (we would be lying if we told you otherwise). But, can you make a salad that doesn’t feel like an afterthought? Something that’s prepared at the last moment to go with your elaborate main course? The one that people go back to for a second helping? You will be able to present your guests with such a salad after reading this article because the carrot salad recipe that we have for you today is a total hit.
Serve it as an appetizer, side, or entrée (to healthy enthusiasts), this light, refreshing, and delectable carrot salad never disappoints anyone. Now let’s get to the recipe without further ado
Nutritional Profile of Carrots
One serving = Half a cup of carrots contain:
- Calories – 25 (Only!)
- Carbohydrates – 6 grams
- Fiber- 2 grams
One serving of carrots supplies you with:
- Vitamin A – 73% of RDA
- Vitamin K – 9% of RDA
- Potassium and Fiber – 8% of RDA
- Vitamin C – 5% of RDA
- Calcium and Iron – 2% of RD
Carrot Salad Recipe
This recipe doesn’t call for any fancy ingredients, so you don’t have to pay a trip to the grocery store before making this salad. You only need a bunch of pantry staples to toss up this delicious low-calorie salad in minutes…
- Carrots: 1 lb.
- Garlic cloves: 4
- Olive oil: 5 Tablespoons
- Lemon juice (freshly squeezed): 1/2 lemon
- Cilantro: 1 Tablespoon, finely chopped
- Parsley: 1 Tablespoon, finely chopped
- Salt: 1 Tablespoon or as per your taste
- Paprika powder:: ½ Tablespoon
- Cumin: ½ Tablespoon
- Cayenne Pepper: 1/8 Tablespoon
- Water: ¼ cup
- 1 lb carrot
Peel and wash the carrots and cut them into oblique pieces (also known as roll-cut).
Transfer carrots to an instant pot and add all the remaining ingredients, including water. Set the instant pot on 10 minutes and let the carrots cook.
Once the timer goes off, turn off the instant pot and carefully open it to let the steam release. Pound or mush the carrots with a potato masher or fork.
Since carrots have a high water content, you’ll see some more water releasing as you mash them. Don’t worry – just turn on the instant pot again and set it on sauté. Cook the carrots until the water dries up. Turn off the heat.
This carrot salad can be served both hot or at room temperature.
Add chopped cilantro, parsley, and lemon to the salad just before serving. Give it a quick toss and transfer to the serving bowl/plate.
Ta-da! There you have it – easy-breezy, fool-proof, nutritious, fresh, flavorful, and healthy carrot salad recipe that will be a delight for your taste buds.
Recipe Alteration/ Modification Tips
- Don’t have an instant pot? No worries! Use a pressure cooker instead (the cooking time will remain the same).
- You can also add some nuts to the salad to improve its nutrition and flavor profile. Raisins, in particular, go well with carrot salad. If adding nuts or raisins, add them at the end with cilantro and parsley.
- While the quantity of spices mentioned above is perfect for this recipe, you can alter them a bit according to your taste. However, make sure not to add too much spice; they will overpower the natural flavor of carrots.
This Carrot Salad Has a Lot More than Flavor to Offer – Top 5 Benefits of Incorporating Carrots in Your Diet
Carrot salad is a great way to increase your intake of this highly nutritious and beneficial vegetable. Carrots are packed with many vitamins and minerals that are beneficial for health. They are also considered one of the best resources for beta-carotene, which your body converts into vitamin A, and are also packed with antioxidants. Due to their powerful nutrient profile, carrots offer a wide range of health benefits. Here are the top five health benefits of carrots that make them worth adding into your diet:
- They are great for your eyes and help protect them from sun damage and age-related macular degeneration. Consumption of carrots also significantly reduce the chances of cataracts.
- The wealth of antioxidants found in carrots can help reduce the risk of certain types of cancers.
- Antioxidants are great for the heart. Carrots also contain potassium, which helps keep the blood pressure within a healthy range.
- Carrots contain vitamin C – a well-known immunity booster. Vitamin C also helps your body utilize iron.
- Fiber present in carrots helps improve digestive health and ensure normal bowel movement.
We all know that vegetables are good for health, but most of us have a hard time meeting our daily vegetable requirements. Eating salads is great for ensuring that you and your loved ones have a good amount of veggies in your diet.
Try out this quick and simple carrot salad recipe to fuel your body with many powerful nutrients. Do let us know how you find it!