In Morocco, we serve Zaalouk salad as a side dish with fish, chicken, or just toast as
an afternoon healthy snack. This yummy carrot salad can be prepared in less than 30
Is a Moroccan salad, very popular throughout Al Maghreb, which is always prepared
with eggplant and similar base ingredients. In Arabic, Zaalouk means “purée” or
Make your own Moroccan salad with my Zaalouk salad recipe!
Carrot is a favorite for both foodies and dieters alike. It’s a versatile root vegetable, a good source of vitamins, minerals and fiber, and pairs well with many foods (not to mention our fingers ?).
Let’s talk about some amazing carrot facts:
- Carrot used to be purple before the 17th Century.
- In the 16th Century Dutch growers cultivated modern day orange carrot by taking mutant strains of the purple, yellow and white carrots and develop them into the sweet, plum, orange variety we have today.
- Carrot is crunchy, tasty and highly nutritious.
- Carrot is a weight loss friendly food.
- A good source of beta-carotene, fiber, vitamin k1, vitamin A, biotin, potassium, vitamin B6, lutein and antioxidants.
Is the main form of soluble fiber in carrots; soluble fibers can lower blood sugar by slowing down the digestion of sugar and starch, and feed the friendly bacteria in the gut.
Is the main form of insoluble fiber in carrots, but also hemicellulose and lignin; insoluble fibers reduces the risk of constipation and promotes regular and healthy bowel movement.
One of the most common antioxidant in carrots, predominantly found in yellow and orange carrots and is important for eye health.
Vitamin C is another antioxidant that carrots provide, which help our body fight disease and keep it healthy. If you want to know what are antioxidants, and how do they work? Learn here.
My mom has either to make carrot juice or salads, she never missed it from our lunch salads selection. She tried her best to persuade me to eat it often, because it will help me see in the dark. And yes for real, I grow up loving carrots…
I made this carrot salad very quickly in my instant pot 10-in-1, I purchased it last year during Black Friday sale, and I really love it…..I can easily make lunch or dinner in no time.
Delicious Carrot Salad
- 1 lb. carrot
- 4 cloves garlic
- 5 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- Peel off carrot skin and cut it either oblique or roll cut.
- Add olive oil to the instant pot or pressure cooker, carrot, garlic and all spices.
- Set instant pot at pressure cooker, custom 10 mins.
- Once time is up, open safely the pot and mash carrots with the masher or fork.
- Since carrot is composed of water, there will be some water remaining inside the pot just set the pot to sauté.
- Once water is all evaporated then add cilantro, parsley and lemon.
- Allow the salad to cool down or serve hot as preferred.